10 months ago
Tonight I came across this great list of thoughts on being a programmer. I thought I’d add a few of my own.
- Respect the fact that most code has a life cycle that will extend beyond your personal involvement in the project.
- Always leave the code cleaner than you found it.
- The occasional all-nighter is good for the soul
- Too many all-nighters is bad for your health.
- This ratio changes when you hit 30.
- Comment the whys not the whats.
- Commit. Commit. Commit.
- Don’t pirate tools that help you earn a paycheck.
- Work on things that interest you.
- Learn something new as often as possible.
- Step wildly out of your comfort zone from time to time.
- The occasional impossible deadlines are opportunities to feel like Batman.
- Respect yourself.
- Stand up for yourself.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel unless you can make a better wheel.